Five Things to do to make your home safer
- Get on your hands and knees and crawl around your house. What hazards do you see that need to be corrected immediately?
- Check your car seat installation instructions to be sure it's properly installed. (You should not be able to move the seat more than one inch from side to side.) For more information, please click here.
- Prepare a fire escape plan. Really!
- Does you crib mattress have any holes in it? The stuffing is a suffocation hazard.
- Be sure that mini-blind cords do not "loop" at the bottom. This can be a strangulation hazard.
About the authors: Lisa Carter and Lori Marques are real sisters and California natives. Together, they have five children. Their book, Child Safety Made Easy, is a compilation of three years of research on death and injury to children and is available in English and Spanish. Also known as The Paranoid Sisters, Carter and Marques frequently speak at parent conferences, on radio programs and are resources for newspaper and magazine articles. Visit their site at http://paranoidsisters.com.